Location: Bavarian Alps, Germany
Length: 29,7 km
Maximum incline: 13%
Width of the road: 7-9 m
Number of bridges: 14
Number of tall stations: 2
Quality of the road: Good
Route: from Berchtesgaden to Unterau and back
Description of the Roßfeldpanoramastraße
Roßfeldpanoramastraße is a toll panoramic road, situated in the south west of Germany, in the Alps of Berchtesgaden, Bavaria. As it’s connecting Germany with Austria, part of the road is on Austrian territory.
The Roßfeldpanoramastraße (formerly known as Roßfeldhöhenringstraße) was built between 1937 and 1940 as an extension of the German Alps Motorway. Nowadays it’s a drive when you can drive smoothly, during any time of the year, as the asphalt is in great condition. Despite this you should still take into consideration the fastidiousness of the mountain and prepare your car accordingly.
Driving on the Roßfeldpanoramastraße
It is a spectacular drive that flows sinuously on the top of the beautiful Alps, sliding through the beautiful alpine landscape.
You will have to pay a small amount in order to drive around the way, but this reflects in the quality of the road. The drive is 29,7 km long, and the highest slope is 13%. Reaching a maximum height of 1,560m above the sea level, Roßfeldhöhenringstraße is the highest continuous road in Germany. The road climbs from an altitude of 850m in Oberau to 1,560m at the top.
While riding this road you can see some truly beautiful views:
- In the East there is the Salzach valley with the city of Salzburg, the Salzburg Alps, the Dachstein and the ‘totes Gebirge’ (dead mountain) range
- Southeast you have the Tennen and Hagen mountain ranges
- In the South is the Hoher Göll (2,522 m) and the Kehlstein (1,837 m) with the Kehlsteinhaus
- In the Southwest and west you can enjoy the beautiful sight of the Berchtesgaden Alps with the Watzmann (2,713 m), Hochkalter (2,607 m), and the Reiteralps
- Towards Northwest and north there is the Latten mountain range and the Untersberg (1,973 m)
The alpine and subalpine flora and fauna is blooming all around. You can see sub-alpine spruce forests with shrub-like green alder trees, alpine meadows and rock vegetation as well as High-altitude spruce trees with dense needles.
You will have nice surprises in terms of gastronomy also. There is the Roßfeld kiosk next to the parking lot, where you can find snacks and refreshments. There is also a very nice tavern, which can be reached by car. You can have lunch with a view there and enjoy the nice Bavarian cuisine.
A road is even better when you can enjoy the view and here, on Roßfeldpanoramastraße, you will have plenty of them.